Practical 1: Pursuing the beauty of the Lord
Four dimensions to God’s beauty:
- The beauty of God’s story through His word (Psalm 19:7-11). This includes the story that God is telling through history. It is a stunning story! It is a story from which all the other stories ever told through books, plays and movies draw their inspiration.
- The beauty of God’s creation (Psalm 19:1-6). This includes God’s natural creation like mountains, lakes, stars, galaxies etc. but also those things you love in life, those things that touch your heart. Examples include: movies, music, experiences and/or hobbies. I guarantee that you love these things because they carry some aspect of the beauty of God’s heart.
- The beauty of God’s ways (Song of Songs and Psalm 19:12-14). This includes the beauty of God’s feelings and thoughts towards us that we experience by the revelation of the Holy Spirit. It also includes His judgements which are designed to bring people to repentance and back into the experience of His love (Isaiah 26:9). Finally, it includes the journey He takes His people on to awaken their hearts to love (Psalm 19:12-14).
- God’s physical beauty (Revelation 1, 4, 5 and Isaiah 6)
Ponder the answers to the following questions. Write down your answers.
- What do you love about God? What aspects of His character do you love? Be specific. Spend time in prayer thanking God for these things.
- What do you love in life? What hobbies, activities, interests, experiences, movies and music do you love?
Leave a Reply